OpenFOAM Tutorial #4 - Laminar Vortex Shedding

In this video, we simulate a flow around a cylinder, a classic problem in fluid mechanics. The highlight

• o-grid type mesh generation 
• pisoFoam
• use of forces library to compute Coefficients of Lift and Drag
• Vortex shedding frequency
• Validate with experimental results



After reviewing the physical aspects of flow around a cylinder, we generate a mesh and specify boundary conditions for this problem. The use of forces library to compute Cl and Cd are described in the eBook. A quick look into the pisoFoam algorithm and then we validate the results from the simulation with experimental results.

eBook: http://nbviewer.jupyter.org/github/Comflics/Exploring-OpenFOAM/blob/master/Exploring-OpenFOAM.pdf
Download laminarVortexShedding case from: https://github.com/Comflics/Exploring-OpenFOAM
For instructions on downloading from GitHub, go to http://www.comflics.de/2014/08/downloads.html


This offering is not approved or endorsed by OpenCFD Limited, the producer of the OpenFOAM software and owner of the OPENFOAM®  and OpenCFD®  trade marks.
Keywords: openfoam tutorial cfd laminar vortex shedding wind tunnel lift drag coefficient

6comments :

  1. Hello Sir,

    Thank you for this wonderful tutorial. I have used a few software packages and none gives the correct value of St Number. Then I came across your tutorial on openFoam and this gives correct value of St Number. I copied your code and tried compiling it on my machine but it gives error "cannot find patchField entry for outlet" after pisoFoam command is given. I have openFOAM 2.3.0 installed. Could you please tell if this is a compatibility issue?

    Thanks a lot! I am looking forward to your reply.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    I was working on OpenFoam 2.3.1. Simulated some turbulence model with komega sst for flow past Circular Cylinder Re=100000, Cd=1.12, but always getting very high cl, rms =1.
    Please suggest, if there is any trick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for taking the time to publish this information very useful! I've been looking for books of this nature for a way too long. I'm just glad that I found yours. Looking forward for your next post. Thanks :)

    melt flow index manufacturers

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am trying to simulate a laminar flow using cylinder case you have shared. My inputs are Water at 15degC, density 1000kg/m3, nu=10e-6 m2/s, Re=195, Velocity=0.000108 m/s. My results do not make any sense... I am using pisoFoam as solver. I guess the velocity is very low. But I am trying to achieve Re=195 so that I can compare my results with the literature ones. Where do I go wrong?

    ReplyDelete